Job Seekers – Did you know that the first conversation I have with you is probably the most important? This is where I do my initial screening in and decide whether we are going to continue our conversations. If you are looking for a new career or job, then be ready for that phone to ring. You never know when the person on the other line is a Recruiter trying to contact you about a job. You should:
- Be Professional
- Not use slang or profanity
- Not talk bad about a past employer, manager or co-worker
- Answer the phone in a professional manner
- Be honest
- Show enthusiasm and excitement
- Drop what you are doing and make this call a priority. If you can’t, then apologize and ask when is a good time for you to call the recruiter back. (within 24 hours)
- Print off the jobs you have applied for and be ready for a call.
- Have a professional voicemail message and email id. (NOT: Yo, you reached Smitty leave a message and I’ll call ya back.)
Reminder: As recruiters we talk to candidates all day long and we are on the phone all day. We have goals and SLAs we need to meet. Our time is also precious. Let’s make the first conversation count. Impress me!