The economy is still tough and there are not as many jobs out there for all of the unemployed workers. Yet, every day I speak to unemployed Individuals who are not interested in working a contract job. Why? They tell me they are only interested in a PERM / Direct Hire Position’s. But Why? Why not a contract job?
- You can gain experience, in a new industry or environment by working in a contract job.
- Working a contract job is still better than not working.
- Companies are hiring contractors to work on projects.
- Companies will hire a known commodity over a new person – working a contract will get you in the door.
- Some companies have hiring freezes – but can still hire contractors.
- Yes – some contracting companies offer benefits.
- Working contract does not look bad on your resume – It shows you are working and may gain you the extra experience for another role/opportunity.
- When on a contract – EVERY DAY IS AN INTERVIEW. You never know what other job, in that department or another one, may come available.
- You will meet New Hiring Managers, who may be able to give you a reference for other future opportunities.
If you find yourself looking for work, ask yourself…”Why not a contract job?”